episkope

From: Michael S. Olszta (msolszta@ici.net)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 18:10:11 EST

I am new to the list here and after reading through several postings, I
see I am not of the Greek proficiency that many of you are. An internet
friend of mine and I have been "disputing", somewhat heatedly, the
meaning of "episkope" in 1 Timothy 3:1. The meanings given in Liddel,
Scott, Jones of the verb "episkopeo" are "look upon, inspect, observe",
"visit as a friend, visit the sick, visit of a physician", regarding a
general, "inspect, review", on a personal level "consider, reflect,
meditate, examine with oneself" and finally "exercise the office of
episkopos".

I am wondering if someone would expound the word "episkope" as it is
found in 1 Timothy 3:1 et al and how he/she thinks this word relates to
the "position" and/or "function" that Paul is speaking about. The
dispute between my friend and myself is in essence the idea of
"episkope" being a "position" in the church versus the idea of it just
applying to everyone "elder" in general. Your responses are very much
appreciated!

Michael Olszta