Re: Re: Resource Material

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 17:29:13 EST

>the -QH- infix which was used as a passive marker
>was not and is not always that; originally it was a formative element used
>to create athematic aorists for mostly intransitive verbs that are
>generally middle in the present and future.

Very Interesting! I have never read a coherent explanation of the phenomenon.
I've read many descriptions, though. Yet none gave even a hint that the forms
were anything but passives with active meanings. I have no doubt that what you
say is true and I shall reread your discussions in the archives. Will I find
reference there to works which give thoroughgoing discussions of this matter?
If not, do you know of any?

Just trying to make sense of deponents (so called).

Blessed New Year,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

As the Maji, so you--
Seek Him born King of the Jews.