Re: The article for abstract nouns

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 17:14:19 EST

Dear Jonathan

In a message dated 1/1/98 12:05:17 PM, I analysed the substantive "home" in
the clause "I went home" as "count noun, anarthrous, generic and
indefinite". I thank Craig R. Harmon for pointing out to me that there was
a typo in my post. The substantive should of course have been analysed as:
"count noun, anarthrous,generic and definite". My very point was that some
English nouns with the definite article are indefinite and some nouns
lacking the article are definite.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli