Deification of Christians

From: Theodore H. Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 06:46:52 EST

Listmembers:

   I hope this isn't too strange an issue for the list to consider.
Off-list responses are welcome, if the subject interests anyone.
   I am acquainted with a denomination that believes that Christians are
becoming God in "life and nature," although not as part of the Godhead
and not as objects of worship. In general, the view is that we are being
transformed into the image of Christ (Who is equal with God), are
partakers of the divine nature, and that eventually we will become Him,
although in the restricted sense described above.
   My kneejerk reaction, predictably, is that this is a repulsive notion
(although, apparently, a very old one), and one of a number of reasons
for my concern is that I have always assumed that QEOS is His name. To
say that we are becoming QEOS, I reckon, implies much more than the
denomination claims to be saying.
   Questions: In terms of the biblical use of the term, is there a sense
in which the term QEOS only implies a species (like "human" or
"vegetable") into which we can be transformed? Does the koine use of the
term allow for the possibility that we can become QEOS without implying
that we are becoming part of the Godhead?

I hope you all enjoy a wonderful 1998.

Ted

Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
Thank you for helping me learn.