Re: John 1:18 MONOGENHS QEOS

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 11:47:51 EST

   I'd like to thank Rolf for mentioning my discussion of this variant,
but I want to emphasize in response that, at least from my vantage point
(a probative point only if one concedes the intent of an author!) my
argument was not *at all* theological, in the way he seems to mean, but
*strictly* textual -- that is, I argue on purely philological, literary,
and historical grounds for one reading over the other. When I discuss
"monogenhs," it is, for me, a historical question about what the word
meant to an ancient reader, not about what it might mean to modern day
believers with somewhat different agendas.

-- Bart D. Ehrman