Re: Articles and prepositional phrases

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 16:18:54 EST

At 1:33 PM -0600 1/2/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Prepositional phrases may or may not have the article associated with the
>noun, e.g.:
>
>EN OIKWi (1 Cor 11:34)
>EN TWi OIKWi (John 11:20)
>
>Robertson gives a long list of non-articular nouns in prepositional
>phrases, then mentions that "most of these examples have articular
>parallels". Is there any difference between a prepositional phrase with the
>article and the same phrase without it?

I'm caught once again without reference books. Nevertheless, I think it is
safe to say regarding EN OIKWi/EN TWi OIKWi that formal Greek (at least
Attic) had a distinctive locative form OIKOI for "at home" (and an older
directional adverb OIKADE, "homewards") for which these are equivalent.
Latin constructions are similar: vocative DOMI "at home," acc. w/o prep.
DOMUM "homewards."