Re: Mounce: hO LOGOS HN QEOS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 14:05:46 EST

At 9:25 AM -0600 1/2/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 07:54 AM 1/2/98 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>>Yes, and in Classical Attic, at least, I think that's the reason why the
>>predicate word tends to be first.
>
>Hmmm...if I put both the subject and the predicate before the copulative
>verb, does the predicate still come first? Consider these sentences:
>
>1. KAI hO LOGOS QEOS HN
>2. KAI QEOS hO LOGOS HN *
>
>My intuition, which has 40 years less experience than Carl's intuition,
>says that #2 is not grammatical, but #1 is perfectly reasonable Greek.
>
>Does this match the intuitions of more experienced Greeks?

My intuition is that "ungrammatical" may not be quite the right way to
describe #2, but I would agree that it seems unnatural, unless, at least,
we read the KAI as adverbial rather than as a conjunction. I'd hesitate to
be dogmatic on this point, but it seems to me that the predicate word ought
to be in pretty close proximity to the copula.