Re: Quotations of Ecclesiates in the NT

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 11:28:15 EST

At 11:30 06/01/98 -0800, David Gowler
 wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>> Interesting - the UBS 3rd edition GNT also has an appendix of OT
>> quotations, but does not list any from Ecclesiastes. I assume the
>> Nestle-Aland has a more comprehensive list?
>
>I'm at home, and I don't have my UBS with me, but here is what my N-A 26
>has:
>
>Ecclesiastes:
>
>1,2 etc -- R 8,20
>3,4 -- Mt 11,17
>5,1 -- Mt 6,7 Jc 1,19
> 7 -- Kol 4,1
> 14 -- 1 T 6,7
>7,9 -- Jc 1,19
> 20 -- R 3,10
>8,15 -- L 12,19
>9,7 -- Act 2,46
> 8 -- Mt 6,17
>11,5 -- J 3,8
>12,14 -- 2 K 5,10
>

>David Gowler
>Chowan College

David:
I don't want to appear to be nit-picking, but did you not notice when
consulting Appendix IV that only one [ Ro. 3:10 ] is in italics, thus
denoting a _direct_ quotation, whereas the others in normal type are
described as 'allusions' ?.
Or so N/E 27 notes on p.83*

I have in the past wondered at some of the connections between texts being
made as 'allusions' in these lists in N/E.
 I appreciate that individual judgement is involved. but I would ask you
to look at Testament of Reuben 5.5 and then check on the 'allusion' to 1
Co. 6:18

I think you will agree that this tells us more about the mentality of the
compiler of the list than it does about Paul !!

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel