Re: Aorist Aspect

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 17:16:55 EST

With regard to Aorist aspect...

Here is the approach that I am currently taking with regard to aorist
aspect. Much of it comes from grammars I have read. Some of it
comes from my own experience with reading the tense. I examine each
instance
of an aorist indicative for the following seven possibilities and in this
order.

#1 Ingressive Aorist
Emphasis of this aorist on the beginning of the action.
Aspect is punctiliar.

#2 Perfective Aorist
Emphasis of this aorist on the end of the action. Remember
that the aorist may often be used as a substitute for a perfect tense in
decline.
Aspect is perfective.

#3 Constative Aorist
The emphasis of this aorist is neither on the beginning, progress, nor the
ending of
action, but rather upon the action as a complete whole.
Aspect is punctiliar-complete.

#4 Simple Aorist
The emphasis here is on simple action in past time.
Aspect is NOT emphasized here.

#5 Epistolary Aorist
Although we might expect a present, yet the action will be in the past by
the
time that the letter is received.
Aspect could be punctiliar, perfective, or punctiliar-complete.

#6 Gnomic Aorist
The "timeless" aorist. You will find this in axiomatic statements, in
dramatic moments, in
poetry, etc... The aorist is dramatically translated into present time.
Aspect could be punctiliar, perfective, or punctiliar complete.

#7 Proleptic Aorist
Used in connection with a conditional clause. Aorist is translated in
future time.
Aspect could be punctiliar, perfective, or punctiliar-complete.

Blessings,

Rich Lindeman