Translation and Linguistics

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 10:39:05 EST

The recent precision that was brought to bear on noun classification I
found extremely helpful (generic nouns, mass and count nouns,
qualitative nouns, abstract nouns, etc.). Can anyone recommend some very
good resources that assists understanding this area of "applied/
practical
linguistics?"

I found the following resources on the UBS web page
(www.biblesociety.org) catalog for translators. Are
these exceptionally good or are there others that are exceptionally
better so that I do not order them blindly?

Thanks,
Wes Williams

________________________

Language, Society, and Bible Translation: with special reference to
Bible Translation

The book explores several aspects of sociolinguistic analysis which are
of special relevance to the translation of Scripture, with emphasis on
portions of direct discourse.
1985. Paper. 15 x 21 cm. v, 261 p.

DescriptionOrder #-BSSA 0659-4 -EPF 99-5023

_____________
Lexicography and Translation: with special reference to Bible
Translation

This book includes articles written by J P Louw, E Wendland, E A Nida, W
C Van Wyk, J Lubbe and W S Vorster. It includes many discussions on
lexicography with special reference to Bible translations.
1985. Paper. 15 x 21 cm. v, 205 p.

J P Louw, editor.DescriptionOrder #-BSSA 0675-6 -EPF 99-5024

Signs, Sense, Translation

This book surveys recent developments and new insights in the field of
communication theory and illustrates the importance of semantics for
translating Greek text.
1984. Paper. 15 x 21 cm. v, 143 p.