Re: The article for abstract nouns

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 15:05:39 EST

At 08:24 PM 12/31/97 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 04:10 PM 12/31/97 -0800, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
>>At 06:17 PM 12/31/97 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>>If you actually look at the examples, eliminating those invalid ones, I
>>think you'll see that the preponderance are anarthrous. Eg., Eph 2:8
>>has frequently been listed as an example of an articular abstract noun
>>(XARIS), but its not; the article there is clearly deietic point back
>>to the previous use in vv 5, 7 (note esp., v 5), thus "this (previously
>>referred to) grace".
>
>The preponderance, yes. There are some with the article, though, e.g. Rev
>5:13 hH EULOGIA KAI hH TIMH KAI hH DOXA KAI TO KRATOS.

First of all, let me correct a(n embarrassing mistake--I appreciate the
fact that no one called me on the carpet for this); I was talking about
the "pointing" nature of the article and called Eph 2:8 "deietic" (sic;
deitic, a typo), when what I meant was "anaphoric"...sorry !! :-{

Two things impress me about this example: first, I would classify any
grammatical matter provable from only Rev as invalid; otherwise we are
going to have to create a bunch of new categories for Koine which don't
have anything to do with the way it was spoken (I'm also not that crazy
about LXX examples which are just producing a virtual "transliteration"
as it were of the Hebrew text).

Second, I'm not so sure I would call these nouns abstract; I'd suggest
that the are verbal actions, viz., I bless, I ascribe/recognize the
position of honor/gory of a king, I recognize the power of the king
(through my humility/servility). As such, I would suggest that the
article is functioning is a sort of, as Wallace puts it, "Par
Excellence" manner, viz., "true" or "all", so that "All Blessing and
All Honor and etc." This is sort of like the use in John 4:22 ("true
salvation") and 1Cor 13:4 ("real love")...unless of course the examples
in Rev (and the others) are just articular because they are subjects of
some type of equative clause ?!

BTW, I think you asked about an equative sentence in which both subj and
pred are articular, but is not a convertible proposition; John 1:4, but
that's because hH ZWH is anaphoric, "this life".

All for now...

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com