Re: The article for abstract nouns

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 09:22:47 EST

At 02:10 PM 1/7/98 -0500, Al Kidd wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. I see that I hastened
>too quickly in my statement "if we have a definite
>predicate--say a title phrase equivalent to the
>definite, personal name YHWH--, then should it not
>have been articulated?"

I thought I'd look for names and titles as non-articular predicates in the
NT, and came up with these:

John 20:31 IHSOUS ESTIN hO CRISTOS hO hUIOS TOU QEOU
1 John 4:15 IHSOUS ESTIN hO hUIOS TOU QEOU
1 John 5:1 IHSOUS ESTIN hO CRISTOS
1 John 5:5 IHSOUS ESTIN hO hUIOS TOU QEOU

I did not find examples using titles, but I do think that CRISTOS ESTIN hO
IHSOUS is grammatical Greek.

Again, I don't think we can prove which of these meanings is intended from
the grammar alone.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research