Rom. 4:18

From: William Dicks (wd@isis.co.za)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 00:40:05 EST

In Rom. 4:18 we have the translation from NASB "In hope against hope"
for PAR ELPIDA EP ELPIDI. Out of my 4 resources BAGD and Thayer suggest
that EP ELPIDI is a kind of dative of support. Translated it could then
read "In hope, on the basis of (or supported by) hope." Most
translations, in fact all those that I am using regularly, suggest the
translation of "against hope" in some form. The only translation that
gives it the way that BAGD and Thayer suggested is Wuest's Expanded
Translation. Is there any real evidence that the translation could be
"against", or should it definitely be something like "supported by?"

--
                          ***
William Dicks (Systems Analyst - C++ & Theology Graduate) wd@isis.co.za