Re: hH OUSA hAIRESIS in Acts 5:17

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 08:38:03 EST

At 2:53 PM -0600 1/10/98, Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Carl, and Colleagues of B-Greek"
>
>My comment on Carl's ingenious suggestion, in my previous post, suffered
>from my usual over-brevity (due to my slow typing, which inhibits my
>otherwise-normal expansiveness).
> [expansive clarification accepted but excepted from citation of the post]
>P.S.: This may be only the second or third time I have ever ventured to
>offer a competing explanation to one of Carl's. He's a hard man to get
>ahead of!

I just want to say that by no means do I offer suggestions in the
expectation that they may not be or should not be challenged; they are
often enough pretty speculative and based upon a reading of the Greek
rather than familiarity with the exegetical scholarship--and often enough I
will go out on a long and fragile limb; I welcome confirmation of a
suggestion that seems plausible or even probable by one so familiar with
that exegetical scholarship as Edward, and I'll be the last to object when
he offers a more likely explanation and/or disproves my own. I am by no
means that difficult to get ahead of, even if Edward graciously says
otherwise.