Re: Nominativas Pendens?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 07:42:33 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> . . . Metzger {snip} does call the initial POLLOI a
> "Nominativus Pendens" (at least he had the participle and the noun in the
> Latin in agreement) but by that he doesn't mean that there's a nominative
> absolute (a construction which I don't think really exists in Greek . . .

I am quite happy to hear that nominative absolute does not exist in Greek
because I have a beastly time figuring out what one is and what it does.

{more excellent discussion sniped here}
> And that's exactly what an anacoluthon is: a grammatical
> non sequitur.

Now I realize that anacoluthon has a broader meaning than I thought. I thought
it meant the omission of the conjunction between clauses.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062