Fun(?) with Romans 1:16-17

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 02:15:25 EST

Same book, different verse:

I've been enjoying the discussion on Rom. 3:22a: DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
XRISTOU, since I've tackled this and all the issues related to it in the
past, and even recently in a session I taught for a church class on
Romans 1:1-5:11. This seems to come up periodically on B-Greek. Thank
you, Paul, for not being more explicit! (2,000 years of cultural and
linguistic separation may mean the fault lies with us, though!)

On a somewhat related note, and for your amusement, edification or
consolation, following is a note I penned to the students in the class:

"III. The interpretation and translation of Romans 1:16-17

"I had hoped to write here for your review all my thoughts and comments
(some of which I shared when I taught) about the various ways Romans
1:16-17 could be or should be interpreted and translated. However, the
more I tried to analyze this passage and explain the various options and
alternatives and possibilities, the more overwhelming the task seemed to
become. The word order, the absence of the definite article(s), the
possible meaning(s)of the prepositions, determining which noun(s) or
verb(s) the prepositional phrases modify and how to interpret and
translate the prepositional phrases, deciding how to understand and
translate Paul's quotation from Habakkuk 2:4 and which clause(s) he is
supporting with this quote, figuring out how - because of the GAR
connective conjunctions - these clauses relate to each other and to the
previous several clauses · well, as I said, it just got to be too
overwhelming. It may be that I am "missing the forest for the trees,"
but this seemingly simple and innocent-sounding passage has so many
translation variables that just thinking it through (as I have done off
and on for literally the past seven or eight months) wearies me! I'd be
glad to share with you in person all my thoughts on this passage, but
I'm not yet up to the task of organizing them and putting them on
paper."

--
"Eric S. Weiss"
It's 1:14 a.m. in the morning and I'm not thinking too clearly!