Re: POREUQEIS EKHRUXEN APEIQHSASIN in 1Peter3:19~20

From: Steven Cox (scox@chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 1998 - 09:18:21 EST

        Hi Carl
        I can see APEIQHSASIN is dative :-) but what I couldn't
        see in my haste to connect APEIQEW with Christ's preaching
        was the context of the previous verse!

        Oh well. Does EN Wi = EN PNEUMATI only, or with broader
        reference to the resurrection in v18?

        The only thing I am not convinced about in the answer is
        EN FULAKHi PNEUMASIN meaning "souls of those who died in
        the primeval flood". I can think of Psalm 141/2:7 in LXX
        which speaks of EXAGAGE EK FULAKHS THN YUCHN MOU but the
        prison here is David's cave. Likewise in Isaiah 42 FULAKH
        is for living souls.

        I venture an angelic "prison" (complete with chains etc)
        would fit the context better with the benefit of 2Peter's
        hindsight?

        Thanks
        Steven