Re: Nominativus absolutus

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 13:15:04 EST

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> I received a private post today from a scholar who says that the Nominativus
> absolutus does in fact exist. He gave a good bibliography as well as a
> citation from Homer (Il 3:211).

This is absolutely correct. The 17th edition of Blass- Debrunner
discusses it fully in paragraph 466, sections 2-4 Further, the
excellent Nigel Turner discusses it as well (in English) in his Grammar
(vol 3), p. 314, 316. Finally, the huge volume by Robertson also
discusses the nom. abs., on p. 459f.

> Most of the works in this bibliography are in languages I do not read so I am
> wondering if anyone on the list would be willing to just give a little thumb
> nail sketch of the Nominativus absolutus intended for simple folks.

The first sentence of Robertson's description of the phenomenon says
"the nominative is sometimes used absolutely, nominatus pendens, just as
the genitive and accusative are".

--

Jim West, ThD Adjunct Professor of Bible Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net