Re: Translation Sequence

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 18:21:16 EST

At 05:35 PM 1/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings All:
>
> As part of my effort to learn Greek, I'm attempting to translate my way
>through the NT. I'm nearly finished with John (I'm sure I've done a
>wonderful job!), and wonder which document I should assault next.

Do the Johannine epistles;
next the synoptics and acts
then the genuine Pauline letters
then the deutero-paulines
next the catholics (doing 1 Peter last in this group)
hebrews next
then, and finally, revelation (since the greek of rev. is poor grammatically
speaking)

This is, so far as I am concerned, an ascending list where you will tackle
the easiest first and progress to the more difficult, ending with
revelation. I Peter and Hebrews are the best, grammatically while John and
the Johannines are simplest (though I am sure someone will disagree) !!!

This, at any rate, was the order we had to translate them in during ThM
course work (lo these many years ago now- I am suddenly feeling somewhat
aged and must now rest.....)

>Perhaps someone would be kind enough to provide me with a list of the NT
>documents in order of difficulty (easiest to hardest), if it is practical
>to do so.
> Many thanks to generous people.
>
>Ted
>
>Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann