re: 2 Cor 5:13

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 21:54:13 EST

On the so called "timeless" aorist, the following remark by Turner (vol 3,
p. 60) is useful here:

"In other moods than indic., of course, the problem does not arise, there
being no complicating augment, and so the aorist stem is freely used to
indicate punctiliar action in present time (in moods OTHER THAN the
indicative- my emphasis). One must always bear that in mind for exegesis".
As the verb in question here is a second aorist active indicative, it cannot
be a "timeless aorist" but must be a genuine aorist denoting an event, now
finished, in the past. Bultmann translates it "Au§er-Sich-Sein" (Der zweite
Brief an die Korinther, S. 150). He goes on to comment, correctly I think,
that "Sofern er ekstatische Erlebnisse hat, hat er fŸr sich und Gott
allein" (ibid, S. 151).
Robertson (Word Pictures, vol 4, p 230) says "Paul assumes as true the
charge that he was crazy... for the sake of argument. .... People often
accuse those whom they dislike as being a bit off".

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible