RE: Rom. 3:22a: DIA PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU

From: Francisco Orozco (fran4@rtn.uson.mx)
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 17:56:11 EST

JPDow wrote:

> Greetings, fellow B-Greekers:
>
> I have a question regarding the Greek phrase DIA PISTEWS IHSOU
> XRISTOU which could be translated "through faith OF Jesus Christ" in
> Rom. 3:22a. Does the fact that the name of the Lord is in the
> genitive case indicate that Christians are actually justified
> (reckoned righteous) by *Christ's faith* (the faith that He Himself
> possessed while He lived in this world), rather than through their
> own exercising of the faith that God has given them? I have heard
> people use this passage to prove that the faith of Christ itself is
> actually the faith whereby believers are justified, as opposed to any
> personal believing on their own part. But I have a problem with such
> a view, since it would seem to negate other NT passages that speak of
> the believers themselves doing the believing (e.g., Eph. 1:13).
>
> Any thoughts? Is there possibly another meaning to be understood from
> the use of the genitive in this phrase?
>
> Sola Gratia,
>
> Jeremy

Several interpreterts offer the other possible meanings as "faithfulness"
or the faith that Christ exercised, and being it sort of an example for
believers, but:

Brooks & Winbery caution in a note after dealing with subjective/objective
genitives saying: "Only the context can determine whether a genitive which
modifies a noun of action is subjective or objective. In other words, a
decision must be made on the basis of exegesis rather than a rule of
grammar" (p.16)

H.A.Meyer interprets it saying "the genitive contains the object of faith
in accordance with prevailing usage (Mark 11.22, Acts 3.16, Gal 2.16,20,
3.22, Eph 3.12, 4.13, Phil 3.9, James 2.1)." And points in a footnote
further evidence for this interpretation, although it mentions some who
took the opposite side. (on loc). Cf. also Cranfield.

I think that the correct translation is the classic one, testified by
diverse versions and specially on account of Rom 3.26, Gal 2.16 & 3.22.
For a fuller exposition of the issue, see Douglas Moo's _Exegetical
Commentary_, Moody (also now part of the NICNT series by Eerdmans). My
personal favorite: John Murray _Romans_ (older NICNT), see specially
_appendix b_of the first part or volume, as it deals directly with your
question.

Francisco Orozco
fran4@rtn.uson.mx