Re: 1 P 3:20; APEIQHSASIN; Adj or adv?

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 11:57:06 EST

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> I agree that the grammar is nondeterminative. So, any interpretation
> here which posits a teaching foreign to scripture, such as a
> post-resurrection preaching to the departed, must remain at least highly
> suspect.

Highly suspect indeed, with the added difficulty that this text is itself
scriptural and on the basis of its possible interpretation may posit a
teaching of a post-resurrection preaching to the departed. This gets into
hermeneutics, which is not an appropriate subject for discussion here. I
note only that this text, with all the problems it involves, IS part of
the canon.

(314) 935-4018