Re: Fwd: Patristic Greek vocabulary

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 20:20:55 EST

Carl forwarded a query from Maurice as follows:
>------------------------------------

Maurice wrote:

I have a query for you. Would you know of any work done -- resulting in a
book or journal articles -- on the patristic greek vocabulary?

I'm thinking of anything akin to Nigel Turner's work on " Christian Words ".
When reading a passage from Cyril of Alexandria recently, I was struck by
the development within EKQESIS from the classcial usage up to Cyril's use
of the word for "a doctrinal statement"; browsing the citations in Lampe,
one can see a development even within patristic usage.

There are a number of bound volumes of Studia Patristica available to me in
the library in the Milltown Institute, but I rather quail at wading through
all the indexes, without some pointers to likely years.

----------------
I think you will be disappointed to learn that there is no such single
work--except for G. W. H. Lampe's PATRISTIC GREEK LEXICON. "Patristic
Greek Vocabular" is an immense field; the vocabulary stock is large
[witness the size of PGL, comparable to LSJ] and the special lexica for
most of these authors have never been written. There is none, for examaple,
for the earliest, the Apostolic Fathers and the 2nd century apologists. One
reason, of course, is that beginning with the Apologists, the fathers are
sophisticated, well-educated scholars, conversant with Greek literature and
philosophy.

But despair not! Lampe does provide the building blocks for some self-help
in this regard. You can do a lot with his loci citati, if you are willing
to take the time. And you are, I think, young enough to make it a project
for your life to do a Nigel Turner for the second century. Think of whom
you would get to study: Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Tatian, Athenagoras,
Melito of Sardis, etc.

Peace, Ed

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament