BAPTIZO

From: Brian E. Wilson (brian@twonh.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 18 1998 - 14:17:44 EST

Scott Schreiber wrote:

>Can anyone tell me of any biblical or extra-biblical occurence of the
>greek BAPTIZO where it is used to indicate a procedure like watering
>your lawn or garden or spraying or sprinkling? I read this somewhere,
>and just wondered if anyone here has heard or seen the same. Thanks in
>advance!

The Greek Orthodox Church has lived with the Greek word BAPTIZO for many
centuries. It has not needed to translate the word, since Greek has
always been its language. It has an unbroken tradition of baptizing by
total immersion in water going back to NT days. Sprinkling and spraying
do not seem to come into the Greek understanding of the word BAPTIZO.

Brian E. Wilson