Re: Multiple Simultaneous Functions

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 18 1998 - 05:33:34 EST

The substance of my original question has be adequately explored in the
admitting that a syntactic component in a clause can have Multiple
Simultaneous Functions. I can see that the participle may function adverbially
and adjectivally at the same time. But admitting this opens up something of a
pandora's box.

How many other syntactic components in a Greek clause can have Multiple
Simultaneous Functions? The finite verb can have both accusative and dative
arguments simultaneously. Is this an example of the same phenomenon? It has
been suggested to me that relative pronouns can have Multiple Simultaneous
Functions. Can anyone provide an example of a relative pronoun performing two
functions simultaneously?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

Postscript:

It has occurred to me that this problem may be simply a symptom of bad analysis. It may be that a single function appears as two functions because our system of functional classification for Greek syntax does not adequately represent how the language really works.