Re: Luke 10:39

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 22:43:18 EST

On Mon 19 Jan 98 (22:09:13 +0100), mjoseph@terminal.cz wrote:
[snipped]
> 2) If so, that is, if the relative pronoun really must be here, then
> what is the meaning of KAI here? It seems to me that the resultant
> reading without the KAI, that is, "she had a sister named Mary, who
> (and) was sitting at the feet of the Lord" is just fine. What does
> the KAI add to the sentence?

 Dear Mark,

 Yes, I saw your original post, but left it for the b-greek pundits to
 answer. But, seeing as they did not, here is my $0.02 worth:

 The word KAI in this context means "also":

 KAI THiDE HN ADELFH KALOUMENH MARIAM, [hH] KAI PARAKAQESQEISA PROS TOU PODAS
 TOU KURIOU HKOUEN TON LOGON AUTOU.

 And she had a sister called Mary, [who] also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard
 his word.

 Many of the modern versions omit /KAI/ but retain /hH/. It does not appear
 that any great textual/critical crux is involved here, with dire doctrinal
 implications.

 Knowing the quasi-Hebraistic mould of Luke's Greek, one could translate
 "And she had a sister called Mary, and she sat at Jesus' feet, and she
 heard his word". This would simulate the WaW-consecutiva construction. It
 is likely that an early copyist inserted the relative pronoun hH to smooth
 the sentence out; so it is only in some MSS.

 CAIREIN

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>