Re: Acts 1:21

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 06:29:32 EST

At 12:22 PM -0600 1/19/98, Rick Strelan wrote:
>Any thoughts on EF'hHMAS in Acts 1:21? Is it elliptic (= EISELQEIN EF'
>hHMAS: Blass DeBrunner 479.2)? Should it be translated "as our head" (so
>Bruce; who thinks "among us" is inadequate;would one rather then expect EF'
>hHMWN?)?

If we had only EISELQEIN, "upon us" would be pretty good English, I think:
"The Lord Jesus came in upon us and went out ..." might work. It must be
EPI + acc. with a verb of motion, and EPI + accusative in classical Attic
often has the sense of "come upon," "accost," or even, in the case of a
bird of prey or a battleship, "swoop upon," "assail." I think this might be
a pretty good combination for the impact of Jesus on the lives of this
community: entering into their lives suddenly and completely re-ordering
their entire existences as previously constituted into a new community, and
perhaps, with EXELQEIN added into the equation, there's a suggestion to of
Jesus' abrupt departures and returns to this group. So there's one thought.