Re: Question concerning psyche/soul?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 07:40:50 EST

At 11:36 PM -0600 1/18/98, #porson wrote:
>Try Erwin Rohde's Psyche: the Cult of Souls and Belief in Immortality
>among the Ancient Greeks.I think it's still available as a reprint from
>Ares in Chicago.

Yes, it's still available, and it's worth reading, but it is a
mid-19th-century work and, to put it mildly, hardly the last word on the
subject. A mid-20th-century work also still in print (I believe) is R.B.
Onians, _Origin of the European Idea of ..._--it's been a while since I
last looked at it, so my memory of the exact title is fuzzy. I think it's
still pretty good, but for a quick survey I'd go first of all to LSJ (the
latest edition with the appendix of addenda) and carefully read through the
article on YUCH with all the references and note the dating of each
distinctive conception referred to there. One of the most useful compendia
on the subject I've ever seen is in F.E.Peters' _Greek Philosopical
Dictionary_. The subject is immense, and by the time you finish going
through it all, you might feel the want of a breath of fresh air (which is
apparently the earliest concrete meaning of YUCH).