Re: GNT on disk...?

From: JPDow (mathetes@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 11:21:15 EST

Jim West wrote:

> >I want the
> >GNT with diacriticals, since the Greek texts in the Online bible,
> >which I have, are devoid of any diacritical marks (which I think is
> >kind of lame). Any suggestions?
>
> What do you mean, kind of lame? The earliest mss of the NT have no
> diacriticals at all- and not even spaces between words. Thus, I would
> suggest, the diacriticals are editorial additions which are secondary and
> necessary only if one is unfamiliar with the inner workings of the language.
> You dont need diacriticals any more than a person with two good legs needs
> crutches! :)

I'm basically aware of how the earliest mss of the NT were written.
However, I prefer the diacriticals because without them sometimes
two words which have different meanings appear to be identical (e.g.,
the definite article hO and the neuter nominative/accusative relative
pronoun hO -- the difference being the presence of the acute accent
in the latter). Even though such differences wouldn't seriously
affect one's understanding of a given text if one (as you say) is
familiar with the inner workings of the language, nevertheless, I
think the presence of the diacriticals makes them easier to spot.

Sola Gratia,

Jeremy

mathetes@erols.com
WWW site: http://www.erols.com/mathetes
"Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes
in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in
Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" " --John 11:25-26 (NKJV)