Re: Imperfective Imperfects in Acts 8:17

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 17:07:43 EST

Rolf wrote:

Given that aspect is subjective it has absolutely
nothing to do with the nature of the action.

But Rolf, this is a tautology. I am not going to give you your "given". It is
precisely what I am contesting.

Acts 8:17 is a case where the imperfect finite verbs are used to depict an
action which in the objective situation would have been durative or iterative
in nature. It seems rather harsh to assert that Luke's choice of the Imperfect
here has "absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the action."

My skepticism about aspect theory(s) grows with time. I was a true believer
three years ago but the theory(s) has not stood the test of time. As I read
the NT and the LXX I find lots of counter examples. Aspect theory(s) does not
seem to hold up well against evidence.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point