Re: Re: Eph. 2:8-10

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 11:17:44 EST

In a message dated 1/22/98 11:40:17 AM, Carl wrote:

<<I've always thought this TOUTO referred back to the entire preceding clause
resumptively: the FACT of the addressees having been saved by grace through
faith. A neuter singular is the normal element to refer to a conception
expressed in a larger phrase or clause, and one often enough sees the
neuter relative pronoun hO\ used that way.>>

Thanks to Carl and Jonathan for their responses.

Carl, I wonder if you or someone else on the list would be kind enough show
some other examples of a demonstrative pronoun (or relative, for that matter)
refering, not to a noun but to an entire clause (or rather, to a conception
expressed in a larger phrase or clause). Also, could you direct me to a
discussion of this phenomenon in Smyth and/or BDF? Thanks in advance.

God Bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.