Re: Rating Bible Works and Logos 4

From: Randy LEEDY (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 13:59:11 EST

Thanks to David Bielby for a very informative post about his
experiences with these programs. I can pretty much echo the same
experiences. I will add one further note, however, to David's post.
Not only would I dearly miss Logos were I deprived of it, there are
times (less frequent) when I would feel equally deprived lacking
BibleWorks and even MORE deprived lacking Gramcord. Try, for example,
working through a list of several hundred hits in Logos, from which
list you want to delete a great number of irrelevant or undesirable
entries, leaving just the "juicy" ones for further study. Each delete
is VERRRY slow and irritating (at least it was on my 486-66; perhaps
not so bad on my new Pentium, which I haven't tried on this point
yet). In BWW those deletes are instantaneous, and the task is much
simpler. And Gramcord comes through when searching for grammatical
constructions (searches based on morphology and/or position, with or
without consideration to lexical source) to an extent that Logos
simply could not and that BWW would be extremely hard pressed to
match if it managed at all, despite the advertising claims you see.

Obviously, the definitive package that perfectly meets every users
needs remains to be written, and I'd imagine will always remain
unwritten. I suspect that what we're ideally looking for is a
computerized model of an omniscient mind. So far as I can see in
Scripture, there's only one omniscient mind, and I don't see any
evidence that it's "Owner" intends to establish online access to it.
:-)

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University