Re: ELLOGEW and LOGIZOMAI

From: Roblumc@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 10:42:18 EST

Jeremy wrote:
Howdy everyone,

Here's a question that I've wondered about for some time.

In Romans 4, Paul used the word LOGIZOMAI for "impute." Then in
Romans 5:13, the word translated "impute" is ELLOGEW. Bauer's seems
to provide basically the same definition for both words (although
there is greater detail given in the definition for LOGIZOMAI).

While the words seem to have identical meanings, one has to wonder
why Paul shifted to a different word in Rom. 5:13. Is there some
subtle nuance in meaning between these two words that accounts for
Paul's usage of LOGIZOMAI and ELLOGEW in Rom. 4 & 5 respectively?

Jeremy,

I cannot discern any drastic differences in meaning. In may have to do with
the fact that Paul is quoting from the LXX in ch. 4. So, he keeps with the
word that is in front of his readers. In 5, the emphasis seems to change from
OT referencing back to the cosmic drama of ch's 1-2 so Paul freely uses
ELLOGEW rather than the LXX term. Just a thought. Maybe there are some other
nuances in meaning to clarify the word choice in 5:13.

Rob Lewis