Re: Teeth and Others.

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 08:35:06 EST

Carl Conrad wrote;
>Nichael, this is wonderful! I'm just puzzled by one thing: the form
>PROSPARASKEUASONTAI--as a future tense that has to be middle rather than
>passive (it's not PROSPARASKEUASQHSONTAI), so it ought to mean "teeth will
>provide themselves." Now that's even MORE wonderful!

I first heard of this addition to Matt. 25 in 1971 in the presidential
address to the SBL by Bruce Metzger. Metzger was a student of
Colemon-Norton and tells that he ysed to "regal" his students who were
strong preachers on Hell with the saying that even the toothless would be
provided teeth so that they might grind them. The address, "Literary
Forgeries and Canonical Pseudepigrapha," was published the following year
in the Journal of Biblical Lit. as the first article in vol. 72. His
conclusion in that address was that pseudepigraphic writings where no
fraudulent intent was intended was consistent with canonical status as
inspired Scripture.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College