MOICHEUOMENH

From: F. Holly Mitchell (mitchell@dobson.ozarks.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 21:47:56 EST

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, George Athas wrote:

> Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
>
> > I believe the Law actually stated that a couple caught in the
> > act were to be summararily killed by having a lance rammed through them
> > while they were still in the act...
> >
> This was not a 'law' as such, though it is contained in the Law (Torah -
> Pentateuch). The example is from a narratve in which Phineas, grandson of
> Aaron, takes a lance to Zimri (an Israelite) and Cozbi (a Midianite woman)
> in the act of adultery and thereby stops a plague. Phineas was commended by
> God for his zeal.

George,

How do you see MOICOS in this? There's no indication in the text of Num
25 that Cozbi belongs to another man, so no one's property is being
adulterated. My Eng translation says that he "brought a Midianite woman
into his family", which likely indicates that he married her.

What is being adulterated here, is not another man's wife, but the faith
of the people. Taking Moabite wives led Israel to yoke itself to other
gods. Looks like the problem here (and the relevant Law is Deut 7:3-4) is
one of idolatry, not sexuality.

I'm confused, however, as to *where* they were found. Vs. 8 (in Eng) says
Phineas followed them "into the tent", (LXX) EIS THN KAMINON. Would
this be "before the fire", probably in their own tent? What does the
Hebrew say?

God Bless,
Ginger Ferguson
Univ of the Ozarks