Re: Future Participles

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 01:53:15 EST

At 1:52 PM +0000 1/27/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>PROSKUNHSWN appears in Acts 8:27. I had to go running to the grammars when I
>saw this. I checked BDF 418(4), Zerwick 282, and Porter (Idioms) 192, 232.
>
>Porter agrees with Zerwick that in this instance of the future participle
>(Acts 8:27) indicates movement with a purpose.
>
>Is this a common classical idiom? If so, what are some other ways that the
>future participle is used in classical literature?

I cannot make any generalizations about classical usage, but this use of
the future participle is quite normal in the NT. In fact, the future
participle is fairly rare in the NT, and several of the few instances have
an implication of purpose. (See Acts 22:5; 24:11, 17 for example.) This
implication seems to be especially common among adverbial uses of the
future participle.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/bibliography.html