Re: BOANHRGHS

From: Randy LEEDY (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 17:03:16 EST

I've been skimming the digests rapidly lately, so forgive me if I've
overlooked a relevant post or if someone has already shed this light
since the last digest went out. It seems to me that John Moe is
getting close to the right idea about "sons of thunder" and that what
is further needed is a recognition of the simple Semitic idiom that
to be a "son of" something is simply to be thoroughly characterized
by it as though one was born with it inbred. Paul speaks of "sons of
disobedience" in this idiom. While I haven't read widely on the
topic, I've always assumed that it is commonly that the sons of
thunder simply had rather bombastic personalities, without any
reference whatsoever to any characteristics of their parents. No
insult need be inferred; one can be a "son of" something
complimentary, insulting, or neutral.

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University