Re: 2 Thess. 2:4

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 06:27:37 EST

At 9:06 PM -0600 1/29/98, Kevin Mullins wrote:
>It's those participles again.
>
>In 2 Tess. 2:4:
>
>...EPI PANTA LEGOMENON QEON H SEBASMA...
>
>Is it possible that LEGOMENON is a substantive participle without the
>article? If so, does it happen very often?

Interesting case; in my opinion LEGOMENON is really
attributive--adjectival--and that the function of the article is implicit
in the preceding PANTA, which must go directly with QEON and then be
applied to SEBASMA secondarily. PANTA normally takes predicative position
unless it means "whole," so that the normal formulation would be EPI PANTA
TON QEON. In this case it is predicative in any case because there is no
article and because LEGOMENON intercedes between PANTA and QEON. So here I
think LEGOMENON has to be understood as an adjective: "over every so-called
god ..." or "over every god that is called a god ..."

At any rate, I don't think it's substantive, inasmuch as the adjective
PANTA and the noun QEON must construe with it.