Re: Mt 28:1--OYE DE SABBATWN...

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 10:04:55 EST

> From: Revcraigh <Revcraigh@aol.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:07:30 EST
> Subject: Mt 28:1--OYE DE SABBATWN...
>
> On more than one occasion I have heard one Bible teacher (who shall forever
> remain nameless) make the statement that Mt 28:1 clearly teaches that God here
> changed His appointed Sabbath (day of rest and worship) from Saturdays
> (really, sundown Friday to sundown Saturday) to Sundays. That OYE DE SABBATWN
> = "the end of Sabbaths" means the end of so called Saturday Sabbaths and THi
> EPIFWSKOUSHi EIS MIAN SABBATWN = "at the dawning into the first of the
> Sabbaths" indicates the beginning of Sunday Sabbaths.
>
> I have always understood these to mean "At the close of the last day of the
> week (Saturday), as the first (day of the) week was dawning (Sunday morning)."
> But this teacher was quite adamant that this meant that God was here
> appointing Sunday (and only Sunday) as the day of rest and worship for
> Christians.

Craig,

Here is some scholarly commentary for you to consider:

J. H. Thayer, in A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, fourth ed., Edinburgh
(1901), p. 471, says: "OYE SABBATWN, the sabbath having just passed, after the
sabbath, i.e. at the early dawn of the first day of the week-(an interpretation
absolutely demanded by the added specification TH EPIUFWSK KTL [TH EPIFASK(OUSH) . .
. , "when it was growing light" etc.]), Mt. xxviii. 1." Also, Zorell-Gr, column 969,
says: "post [after]: OYE SABBATWN Mt 28:1 'post sabbatum' ['after the sabbath']."
Moreover, Bauer, p. 601, says under OYE: "after OYE SABBATWN after the Sabbath Mt
28:1."

Sincerely,
Wes Williams