Re: Re: Mt 28:1--OYE DE SABBATWN...

From: Revcraigh@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 19:24:11 EST

Greetings,
In a message dated 1/29/98 11:26:26 PM, George wrote:

<<I believe that the plural ending -WN does not necessarily reflect a plural
in the
case of the word for Sabbath (or "Saturday" or "week"). Note that Matt 28:1
goes
on to say EIS MIAN SABBATWN... clearly indicating "one Sabbath" or "one week"
in
the singular.

Best!
George Athas

I agree, but then, what does it reflect?

Besides this radio teacher would very much disagree with you. His point is
that the second SABBATWN is plural because it refers to the first of (many New
Testament) Sabbaths. Yes It refers to one particular week (namely the *first*)
but nevertheless, only the first of many. What I was hoping to find was a
cogent, consistent means of determining why a plural form is used in some
places in Scripture and why, in other places, singular forms are used.
Unfortunately, in looking at the passages where SABBATON is used, I can detect
no consistent pattern. Sometimes the plural form is used when the context
makes plain that a single, particular Sabbath is refered to.

God bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon, pastor
Lutheran Church of the Apostles
5100 W. 115th Street