Re: multiple ascensions

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 19:41:54 EST

On Wed 28 Jan 98 (21:51:04 +0800), scox@chinaonline.com.cn.net wrote:
> What examples of this use of MH MOU hAPTOU do Hendriksen or
>  Westcott cite? Any from LXX?

>  Myself I don't have the problem with a reading consistent
>  with other NT uses of hAPTOMAI. (Yes the idea of objecting
>  to being touched is odd, sure, but so is Luke 8:44-47...)

 Hullo Steven,

 As I said, I don't have Westcott on the Greek text to hand. My BAG lexicon
 has a lengthy entry s.v. hAPTW, hAPTOMAI. It says "... MH MOU hAPTOU /stop
 clinging to me!/ [longish list of authorities snipped] J 20:17...". If you
 don't have BAG try Strong's 680 and 681.

 I don't think Jesus ascended to the Father until Acts 1:9; but I have heard
 attempts to discern a multiple ascension based on John 20:17.

 In Jacob's vision of the Ladder set up from earth to heaven he saw angels
 ascending and descending on it (Genesis 28:12). John 1:51 says "...ye shall
 see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the
 Son of man". I take this to mean that Jesus is the Ladder by which we may
 ascend into heaven; but some might allege that this 'ascending and
 descending' could point to a multiple ascension/descent? No; I don't think
 so.

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>