Re: multiple ascensions

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 18:41:58 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I'm making no assumption that this text translates a Hebrew-Aramaic text.
> The usage of genitive with hAPTOMAI in the sense of "put one's touch upon
> something" (middle) is regular classical usage (many verbs of perception do
> take a genitive, in fact), whereas hAPTW with an accusative tends to be
> used in the sense of causing one thing to touch another, as commonly in the
> lighting of a lamp hAPTW means "ignite."

Sorry Carl, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I am not suggesting an original
Hebrew-Aramaic version for John's gospel. I apologise if this was what I appeared
to be saying. What I meant was that either Jesus did not speak to Mary in Greek,
but in Hebrew-Aramaic; or, the writer of the gosepl, "John", was Hebrew-Aramaic
himself and, despite writing in Greek, thought in Hebrew-Aramaic about what he
wanted to say and then translated it to Greek as he wrote. I do very similarly - If
I have to speak or write in Greek, I still think in English (my first language) and
then translate my thoughts into Greek speech or writing. The use of MOU may well
reflect such a thought process.

> I'm not going to try to defend this "interpolation," as you call it, in
> this forum, as my interpretation really depends upon both theological and
> hermeneutical assumptions which I know are not widely shared and which
> themselves are outside the focus of B-Greek discussion.

I did not mean any slur on your views, Carl, by the use of the word
"interpolation". I again humbly apologise if an insult was inferred. Of course, I
respect your views and your interpretation (is that a better word?) of this
incident. I guess we agree to disagree on friendly terms.

Best regards!
George Athas
 < gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au > Ph: 0414 839 964 (ICQ #5866591)
 (PhD Candidate, University of Sydney)
 (Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College)
(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)