RE: John 1:1

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 08:23:39 EST

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Peter Phillips wrote:
> The point stands I think that the first readers would have heard a concept
> rather than a person. In the next eighteen verses John gradually puts
> flesh on the bones, as it were.

I really ought to note, without repeating all the earlier correspondence,
that I quite agree with Pete here that LOGOS probably immediately held a
conceptual meaning to those reading its opening for the first time.
Certainly there is ample Hellenic background in Heraclitus and Stoicism
for awareness (I don't mean intimate familiarity) of the background.

(314) 935-4018