RE: John 1:1

From: Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 15:47:35 EST

Thanks for the reference to Caselli, I will try to get hold of his article
- where can I get a copy of Trinity Journal 18 NS??? However, you will
note that Barrett does not identify Logos and Torah at all. Some of the
things that John says about Logos were already predicated to Torah but
Torah was created and not co-creator or the reason for creation. The idea
that Torah would become enfleshed would be intolerable to Jewish ears.

John pulls the concepts of Logos from all over the place (Miller suggests
13 sources for the imagery at least), adds a lot more of his own
theological reflection about this Logos' role in and through Creation (as
other early Christologists were doing like in Col 1:15ff and Phil 2:6ff)
and then moulds all of this into one enfleshed being - the historical
person Jesus

But then we move rapidly outside the remit of B-Greek and anyway we did all
this a few months ago - see the archives, please!!!

Pete Phillips