Re: KAMIILON

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 12:45:11 EST

Colleagues:

Ginger cites "Liddell & Scott" (her text below) on KAMILOS, in effect
saying otherwise than what Liddell-Scott-Jones has said at least since
1940. Ginger is obviously quoting from an ancient edition.

What Liddell-Scott-Jones actually says is: (p. 872)

KAMILOS, hO, _rope_, Sch. Ar. V.1030, Suid. (Perh. coined as an emendation
of the phrase [quotes Matt. 19:4]: but cf. Arab. _jummal_ 'ship's cable'.)

And Glare adds (1996 Edition, p. 166):
[The reference to Sch.Ar. is corrected from 1030 to 1035, and a typo in
the Matthew qote is corrected. Then:] add 'perh. also _ICilicie_ 108
(sp. KAMHL-, v/vi A.D.)'

The over-a-century-old dismissal of the word as a coinage to solve a
difficult saying has been downgraded to a mere possibility, with the
warning that even the "perhaps" statement is unwarranted, considering
the Arabic.

The issue itself is trivial; but I've taken the time to quote LSJ in
order to make the point that we shoud NEVER cite from anything called
"Liddell-Scott" other than LSJ (1925-1940, or later), unless we add
"cited from an edition over a century old."

Edward Hobbs

-----------Ginger wrote---->>>>>>>>

Liddell & Scott define KAMHLOS (with the variant spelling of KAMILOS) as
'camel', which Gesenius says is found in all Phoenicio-Shemitic languages.
L & S have another entry, however, which reads:

acc. to Suid., and Schol. Ar. Vesp. 1030, 'a rope': but prob. invented
merely to explain away the well-known passage in the NT "for a camel to go
through the eye of a needle", etc., where 'a rope' might seem to us a more
prob. image than a 'camel': but the Arabs have a proverb, "like an
elephant going through a needle's eye" and "to swallow a camel" occurs in
NT; so that this is needless.

God Bless,
Ginger Ferguson
Univ of the Ozarks