Re: Keystone Apostles [was: KAMIILON]

From: Noel Maddy (ncm@biostat.hfh.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 16:46:18 EST

[Definitely off-topic, but I can't resist...]

Nichael Cramer wrote:
> Peter Phillips wrote:
> > You see it's evidently only us Brits who understand Jesus humour :>)
>
> Granted, we've wandered pretty far afield but...
>
> On the topic of NT humor, I've always wondered if there was any comedic
> intent in the presence of the Apostles (i.e. as a group).
>
> I understand that a lot of this is anachronistic projection from
> having seen a lifetime of slapstick and adventure movies. But --even
> given that-- it's hard not to see many of the scenes involving The
> Twelve as their fulfilling the stock role of "The Comedy Sidekick to
> the Hero". Especially when it comes to their general, almost
> unbelievable "cluelessness".

That's true -- and yet, I often find that my cluelessness exceeds
that of the apostles ;)

I think this humor is very effective to get across the fact that
we are all the same in God's eyes. Even the greatest of the Bible
characters is shown to have similar flaws and failings to mine.

And humor is a powerful tool to get me to realize the underlying
truths that make these things so humorous.

But the wonderful thing is, God uses us fools to accomplish His
work here!

--
Poor pet names # 37: Chuck      "Sit up, Chuck.  Up, Chuck.  Good boy."

Noel Maddy <nmaddy1@biostat.hfh.edu>