Re: MH GENOITO

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 17:09:07 EST

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Carl William Conrad wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Mark Goodacre wrote:
>
> > I came across a nice new translation of MH GENOITO the other day in
> > Richard Hays' *The Moral Vision of the New Testament*. He translates
> > it:
> >
> > No way!
> >
> > Though this sounds a bit American, and makes Paul a bit too much like
> > someone in *Wayne's World*, it certainly improves on 'God
> > forbid!' (RSV).
>
> This is nice, actually. And it reminds me of the shock of recognition I
> had once when reading Plato's Apology and the phrase, ALL' OUK ESTIN hOPWS
> SU TAUTA OUK ... (something like that) rose up and hit me in the face, and
> I realized that this means: "But there's no way that you weren't ..."

If I remember correctly, George Caird used to translate the expression as
"Not a bit of it!" - which avoids the Americanism and its entailed images
of Paul's readers shouting back "Way!". But perhaps it conjures up a mental
scene of readers yelling "Bit!". Ah, it's Friday, and the mind is tired.

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu