Re: Jn.1:1b word order

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sat Feb 07 1998 - 22:48:01 EST

At 10:17 PM 2/7/98 EST, Paul S. Dixon wrote:

>I copy and paste from the first paragraph of the conclusion to my Th.M.
>thesis, "The Significance of the Anarthrous Predicate Nominative in John"
>('75):
>
>The use of the anarthrous predicate nominative in John is significant.
>It is qualitative in 65 out of 74 occurrences, or 88% probability. When
>the anarthrous predicate nominative precedes the verb it is
>qualitatative in 50 of 53 occurrences, or 94% probability. When it
>follows the verb the anarthrous predicate nominative is qualitative 13
>of 19 occurrences, or 68%.

So KAI QEOS HN O LOGOS would have a 94% probability of meaning "and the
Word was divine", but a 6% probability of meaning "and the Word was God"?
And KAI O LOGOS HN QEOS would have a 68% probability of meaning "and the
Word was divine", but a 32% probability of meaning "and the Word was God"?
Then in all probability, using your model, they have the same meaning,
which is qualitative.

(I'm still holding out for well-defined tests of qualitativeness before I
take a stand on this one...)

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine