Re: John the Poet?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 06:36:42 EST

At 8:05 PM -0600 2/10/98, Nichael Cramer wrote:
>> ... [ if John had meant <X> he would have written <Y> ] ...
>
>In short, I guess, my question is this: Are we missing the --hymnodic--
>forest for the sake of the --syntactic-- trees?

Not only that, in my opinion, but also (and this is one of the main reasons
I haven't even wanted to become embroiled in the present discussion, which
is interesting in its own way) it seems to me that it is venturing into a
whole range of speculative cosmological and cosmogonic problems that may
very well be (I won't say definitely are) outside of the intention of the
evangelist, who, in my view, is more concerned here to make a "relatively"
simple statement about the relationship of the historical Jesus to God's
purposes for humanity. That is to say, my own feeling is that the
discussion is embroiled in questions that this text probably wasn't
intended to resolve.

And with that, I guess I HAVE gotten into it. . .