Re: Johannine ARCH (was Jn.1:1b word order)

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 18:55:06 EST

At 07:32 AM 2/11/98 +0800, Steven Cox wrote:

> Sure it is inevitable that a conceptual noun used with
> a dative preposition and the same noun used with a
> genitive preposition will have some different semantic
> flavour, just as other forms of context reshape nouns,
> and I did say EN ARCHi was a "set phrase" and is parallel
> to Genesis, however the examples you have provided from
> Philippians and Ruth show that EN ARCHi can just as easily
> be qualified as AP' ARCH KOSMOU etc.

I think this is a fair assessment of what each of us has said.
Incidentally, I think it is helpful to note that "in the beginning" can
mean a lot of things in English, too.

> It would be interesting to run a TLG search and see how
> absolute this "absolute" EN ARCHi is?

If any of you lucky folks with TLG could do that, I'd be grateful!

> It may be that part of this is subjective.

Quite possibly. But I'm a little confused by what people are suggesting.
Are people actually suggesting that John did not believe Jesus was there
before all material things were created? Is this belief derived from John
1? If so, what contextual clues are there to support that belief? I would
think that for this question, the context would far outweight the nuances
of the word as found in other places.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine